|1926||The Permanent Mandates Commission
protests whenever South Africa makes more of its restrictive laws, including racial
legislation such as the Colour Bar Law of 1926, applicable in South West Africa.
A total of 3 400 "whites" live in Windhoek.
All children ("white, black or brown") born on or after 01.07.1926 are automatically British South African citizens.
A formal Boundary and Water Commission is formed by South Africa and Portugal to finalise the Kunene border issue.
Jacobus Kasparus Botha whose family have lived in Windhoek since 1891, sets to work with three hundred convicts from the Windhoek prison to lay out the gardens and parks round the Tintenpalast.
The Walvis Bay port is further extended by the construction of a new concrete wharf (457 m) and additional traffic-handling facilities.
In the Kavango the Uukwangali Hompa Mbuna dies. His successor is Queen Kanuni (until 1941 and then again as from 1958 until 1971).
The Roman Catholic Church establishes new mission stations in Tondoro in the Kwangali area of the Kavango, in Mariabronn near Grootfontein and in Walvis Bay. In the same year the Finnish mission spreads its field of activities into the Kavango.
All Lutheran German parishes are united under the Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Synode and are led by a Landesprobst. Pastors for the German-speaking parishes are recruited from Germany. This is only feasible for larger parishes such as Windhoek, Keetmanshoop, Swakopmund, Omaruru or Otjiwarongo. Smaller parishes are ministered to by missionaries of the Rhenish Missionary Society well into the 1960s.
The CDM diamond deposit at Elizabeth Bay is mined until the great depression in 1931. Until this time some 1,25 million carats of diamonds are recovered.
New South African stamps with South African pictorials with overprints in blue: South West Africa/Suid Wes Afrika are issued.
|17.01.||Administrator Hofmeyr issues regulations relating to the recruitment and contracting of "black" migrant labourers.|
|28.01.||The Union Party is renamed the South West Party (Suidwes Party).|
|01.02.||The South West Party and the National Party of SWA enter into an election pact, mainly to oppose the Deutsche Bund in Südwestafrika.|
|February||In consequence of the Administrators visit to the Kaokoveld during December 1925, the SA policemen HEF Hillebrand and Fred Cogill build a police station at Swartbooisdrift at the Kunene River. They build a rough road from here to Ruacana. The last SA policeman stationed at Swartbooisdrift is Petrus Johannes van Eck. He dies here at 01. April 1939.|
|March||AJ Werth succeeds Hofmeyr as Administrator for SWA.|
|25.05.||The first election is held for members of the "all-white" Legislative Assembly in terms of the South West Africa Constitution Act, No. 42 of 1925, with seven seats won by the Deutsche Bund in Südwestafrika, three seats by the National Party of SWA and two seats by independent candidates. Administrator Werths reaction is that "no party will be allowed to dominate". He subsequently appoints four South African and two German members to the Assembly. Political dissent develops along language lines when Peter Müller of the Deutsche Bund proposes that German should be recognised as one of SWAs official languages.|
|01.06.||The Boundary and Water Commission begins its work.|
|18.06.||The first Legislative Assembly
opens in Windhoek. The South African Prime Minister General Hertzog sends a telegram which
stresses the importance of a "spirit of co-operation" and "national
unity" among the "white" members of the Assembly. In the spirit of this
"national reconciliation" and in order to integrate the German-speaking
"white" population of SWA into a new South Africa-sponsored colonial
dispensation, Assembly member August Stauch proposes a resolution regarding the
"destruction of the Blue Book of 1918". The leader of the South West Party in
the Assembly, Diederick William Ballot, supports this resolution (the resolution is passed
unanimously by all 18 members of the Assembly on 29.07 1926). The Rhenish Missionary
Society supports this decision. The dead of the German Namibian War 1903-1908 and the
Ovaherero and Nama genocide and other atrocities are dismissed and forgotten in the
interest of "white" settler reconciliation.
With the disappearance of the Blue Book the calamitous events of the Great Resistance War fall into oblivion among the "white" faction of SWA. Still (nearly 14 years after the independence of the Republic of Namibia in 1990) no national monuments recall the names of any of the Ovaherero or Nama people who were the main victims of the war or mark the sites of prison camps where thousands died. In contrast the name of every German fatality from the war is listed on large plaques that line the wall of the Christuskirche (Christ Church) in the centre of Windhoek (unveiled in the church by Reverend Heyse on 02.09.1923).
||In Cape Town the "Agreement in Relation to the Boundary between the Mandated Territory of South West Africa and Angola" is adopted. It is established that the Ruacana waterfalls mark the correct position for the "cut-line border" between Angola and SWA. The "neutral zone" of 1915 will remain in force until the agreed border is demarcated. This demarcation is to be done by a SWA-Angola Boundary Delimitation Commission.|
||A newspaper for employees in SWA is established in Windhoek (printed until 30.10.1926): Volksblatt: Mitteilungen der Arbeitnehmer-Verbände Süd-West-Afrika: "Der Arbeitnehmer".|
|20.09.||A commission of inquiry under Jacob de Villiers tables its report on the events in Rehoboth of April 1925 . The result is the establishment of an Advisory Council of six members to assist the local magistrate. The Permanent Mandates Commission of the League of Nations informs the SWA Administration that the Basters have no case in terms of their claim for independence.|
|19.10.||Finnish missionary Martti Rautanen dies in Olukonda in the Ondonga area.|
|28.10.||The first merchant vessel docks alongside the new Walvis Bay port wharf.|
The Grave of the Finnish Missionary Rautanen (Nakambale) at