|1891||All the Namaland chiefs are
firmly lined up behind Hendrik Witbooi because no missionary reports mention any tensions
Von Francois becomes Landeshauptmann (administrator) of SWA. His administration is legalised by the law for the protection areas (Schutzgebietsgesetz) dated 17.04.1886.
The German authorities bring an end to the Swartbooi and Topnaar raids into Kaokoland. Some Ovahimba and Ovatjimba chiefs start to return from Angola.
In Angola the Portuguese again attack the Ombandja area in order to break the continuing resistance of King Luhuna from Onghumbi who is supported by the two Ombandja kingdoms. The Portuguese are defeated in the battle of Ondobeyofenge.
One hundred and thirty-nine known "whites" (Germans and Boers) live in SWA. The DKGSWA no longer expects to discover valuable minerals (gold, etc.) and plans for the establishment of a German settler colony.
The German shipping line, Woermann Line, establishes a regular shipping service.
Ernst Hermann erects an agricultural station at Kubub for sheep and wool production. He leases the Nomtsas valley in the Naukluft Mountains for 20 years from the Bethany chief.
The trade with weapons reaches its climax, with the importation of 807 rifles and 66 830 cartridges during the year. Between 1884 and 1893, 2 586 rifles and 1 128 780 cartridges are imported into the territory. From 1891 to 1897 the German Administration tries to restrict the weapons trade.
|June||Attorney Köhler becomes the first judge in the colony.|
|03.08.||Samuel Maharero is recognised by the German authorities as supreme Ovaherero leader. This is not accepted by other Ovaherero leaders, such as Manasse Tyiseseta of Omaruru, Kandji Tjetjo of Owikokorero and the Ovambanderu leader Kahimemua Nguvauva, as well as Riarua, Mahareros former advisor. They are all serious contenders to the Ovaherero chieftaincy of Okahandja.|
||Rhenish missionaries Wulfhorst and Meisenholl meet King Ueyulu ya Hedimbi of the Uukwanyama area. The first mission station in the Uukwanyama area, Ondjiva (in present-day Angola), is established.|
|03.10.||Ovambanderu attack Gibeon.|
|13.10.||The post office is shifted from Otjimbingwe to Windhoek. It is re-opened as "Otjimbingue" on 01.07.1895.|
|18.10.||The first Postal Agency is opened
in Windhoek by Secretary of Finance Wilhelm Junker. The date stamp "Otyimbingue"
is still used until March 1892 in Windhoek.
A regular postal service along the Northern Bay Road from Windhoek to Walvis Bay (by camels which were imported from Teneriffe) is established. Mail delivery takes approximately 12 days.
The first postal despatch by a German ship was made on 24.04.1891 from Hamburg by the mail steamer "Gertrud Woermann I" of the Woermann Line. The delivery of the mail is made in Walvis Bay to Rhenish missionary Böhm on 22.06.1891, who undertakes to see to the despatch to Otyimbingue. Until November 1893 all mail is transshipped at Walvis Bay. However, from the 30.11.1893 all mail steamers of the Woermann Line are re-routed to Swakopmund where they had previously made trial landings.
|December||The Colonial Administration moves from Otjimbingwe to Windhoek.|